Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A little Cricut Love

As a scrapbooker/crafter I tend to always want the latest and greatest new gadget.  Last year was no exception.  After playing with a Cricut at the local scrapbook store while making the cut-outs for our cake walk wheel for the Boo Bash, I fell in love.  It went to the top of my Christmas List!

I was so excited when I opened my gift from my mom, and I had a brand new Cricut Expression! I had heard so many great things from other crafters and scrapbookers that I was envisioning all the cool things I would be able to make.  Then I saw the price of the cartridges and got discouraged.  I played around a little with the two that I had and was able to make some cute Valentine's for my daughter's class:
IMG_9098.JPG
IMG_9100.JPG
IMG_9099.JPG
IMG_9104.JPG
IMG_9101.JPG
IMG_9103.JPG

I was pretty impressed with how quickly I was able to make these.  I had 30+ of the little lollipop flowers done in one evening.  After this project the Cricut just sat back in the corner waiting for the next time I would need it.

I don't think I turned it on for almost 4 months until I needed it to help me make the Closet Clothes Dividers that I made for my friends Candy Coated Baby Shower. Again, I just used basic shapes and letters.  I still wasn't willing to make any investment into cartridges.

Then I read a blog by Kelleigh Ratzlaff about programs you could use with your Cricut to cut ANY design and ANY font!  I have worked with digital scrapbooking supplies and was familiar with what could be done with Photoshop and a Printer.  I just always hated the cutting part.  Now that Kelleigh and Mari were offering cutting files I was very interested.   It still took 3 more months, but I finally bit the bullet and bought Sure Cuts A Lot.  I have spent the last few weeks finding cutting files and downloading them.  Now I have SO many ideas in my head.  Banners, favor boxes, cupcake wrappers, cupcake toppers, party supplies galore right at my fingertips!!  I have also found a few more digital scrapbook stores that sell cutting files, and I am always on the lookout for more:


Later this week I will be showing you how I made our adorable Boo Bash invitations with digital scrapbooking supplies and my Cricut.  I can't wait till you see them!

Photobucket

8 comments:

PartyMom said...

Oooooh! I've been looking into getting a Silhouette because of the cartridge issue and I really want to make my own designs. I can't wait to see what you've done with this software, and I'm going to go check it out now!

Crossed Fingers said...

The JoAnns by our house rents the cartridges out which I thought was a good idea.

Love this gadget...don't know if it'll ever reside in our house though!

Shoomie Occasions said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'm dying for a Cricut!! It seems like the ideas and projects are endless! Enjoyed your blog! Lots of great ideas!!

Hanna said...

Hi there! I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hop!Lovely blog!! You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogsot.com

Create It Fabulous said...

New follower here!
I love the color of your cricut! I've never seen that color before. I have the plain ole white one hehe. But i just looove my cricut too! The cartridges are so much :( Ive had my since march and only 4 cartridges. Hoping DH gets me to sure cuts a lot for xmas. I look forward to seeing you ideas!

AmieAnn said...

Thanks for following me! I am following you back and I too am a fellow Cricut Lover! Although I am totally jealous of your Expression as I have the original model and it doesn't do as much.. but SOMEDAY I am going to upgrade.. but I am in LOVE in the meantime! Happy Crafting!
Amie @ Pinkapotamus

Tashia said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower! I love meeting new people and getting to share ideas through blogging! Very cute blog!!!

Happy Friday!

Tashia @ http://homeinspiredbliss.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

To the lovers of the expression. Last year I had to get up before the sun on Black Friday and fight my way through the crowd at Walmart to get this for my daughter. The price was cheap-cheap-cheap. Worth it! I love all the things she does with it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails