Do you remember Susie?
I remember her hit series, “Surprise Gardener,” and would have loved for her to surprise me. Now she has “Outer Spaces,” where she and her team surprise homeowners with a beautiful outdoor living spaces.
She also has a website and of course I signed up for her newsletter. Today I received this awesome idea and immediately thought of my brother. He loves to spook up his yard for all the trick or treater’s he is fortunate to get.
Here are her directions to make these ghoulishly gorgeous gravestones:
- Krylon Make It Stone!® Textured Paints - Black Granite (#18201) I LOVE this paint and have used it to repaint planter boxes to give them a new look.
- Krylon Spray Adhesive - Spray Adhesive (#7010)
- Krylon Glowz® - Glow-in-the-Dark (#3150)
- Boxes - Various sizes (old shipping boxes work great)
- Foam or wood letters
- Various Halloween decorations
- Hot glue or super glue
- Packing tape
- Newspaper or drop cloth
- Large nails or ground stake
- Scissors or craft knife
- Set up a spray area by covering a table or other work surface with newspaper or drop cloth in a well-ventilated area.
- Assemble box leaving one end open (this will be the bottom of your gravestone).
- Tape over folded seams.
- Cut a name plaque to fit box from the cardboard of another and glue on using spray adhesive or hot glue.
- Glue on letters to name plaque.
- Embellish top of gravestone with glued on Halloween decoration: skull, bat or even a rat.
- Paint entire gravestone with 2-3 coats of the Make It Stone color of your choice. Let dry between coats.
- Once dry highlight areas with Krylon GLOWZ.
- Place a stake in the ground and prop your boxes up, or you can nail them into the ground, using the flap.
Another simple idea from your friends at Two Kids and a Party. Have fun and if you make some, link back up to us and show us your creative work.